What makes a good candidate?
Passion to win, the desire to serve and be in front of the people! Candidates need to be able to talk to anyone from the person on the street to a corporate executive or chief of police. They need to work hard, be positive and have a strong desire to win and serve.
Political mail, sometimes called the stealth mail, is one of the most powerful tools to get a candidate elected. By targeting high propensity voters(people who consistently vote between the ages of 40 and 70) by mail reinforces the campaign message by offering more detail and information into the hands of those who vote.
Stages of a mailpiece (always check with the post office for mail stands and requirements before you start):
- The Planning Stage – This is the conception of the piece. You are going from concept to design
- Purpose – What effects do you want to get from the mail.
- Target Audience – Who is the target audience and how many pieces are we going to mail
- Graphic Design – Hook the message with the graphic design and pictures. Should reflect your candidate to the audience.
- Printing & Labeling – Pull everything together and create the mailpiece labeled and tagged for the post office
- The Drop – Timing is everything; try to get the first piece (happy piece) out on the same day and the voting material which is about 28 to 30 days prior to the election. The final mail may be dropped on Thursday or even Friday before the election for delivery on Saturday or Monday. Political mail is red tagged and treated with the highest priority to get it delivered.